So much is in the news lately about our United Methodist Church, either on a national level or on the local church level. I want to remind you that things you read in the paper or on the internet are not always the most accurate. Case in point was the Pioneer Press article in which there were numerous factual errors about one of our churches in the Minnesota Annual Conference. This article, and the ones earlier in the year about how the United Methodist Church had split (we haven’t!), remind me that where we get our news from is so very important.
You may or may not know the news outlets to trust about stories regarding the United Methodist Church. I want to remind you that there are distinctly two places from which you can get accurate news about the United Methodist Church and the Minnesota Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church:
- www.umc.org is the place to go for accurate information about the global United Methodist Church
- www.minnesotaumc.org is the place to go for accurate information about the United Methodist churches and ministry in Minnesota
Whenever you read a story about the church from another source, I would encourage you to search out the truth at these websites.
Also, friends, as the General Conference gathering of the global United Methodist Church in Minneapolis gets closer in time (May 5-15, 2020), I would encourage you toget involved. Here are some places where you can volunteer or advocate:
- To volunteer for a variety hospitality type opportunities go to https://gc2020welcome.org/
- To join the movement to resist the harm the United Methodist Church has done to our LGBTQIA+ friends, go to https://resistharm.com/
- To get information about advocating for our LGBTQIA+ friends go to https://rmnetwork.org/
Thank you for caring and wanting to get the right information, to be involved in our greater church in a way that brings healing an wholeness. May it be so!
Pastor Becky Jo Messenbrink